Course Series Description
During this action-packed course, participants learn the fundamentals of coaching for performance. The program explores how adults learn, grow, and change behaviours in a supportive peer-to-peer learning environment. Participants are introduced to a clear, concise framework for coaching conversations and practice using coaching skills in real-time.
During this course participants will:
- Develop a coaching mindset
- Distinguish between performance and developmental conversations
- Explore the conditions for successful coaching
- Develop foundational coaching skills (Intentional Listening and Questioning)
- Apply a clear, concise framework for a coaching for performance conversation
- Learn to use coaching to establish clear expectations and accountably from others
Module 1: The Coaching Mindset (4 hours)
In this module, participants are introduced to the power of coaching as a leadership tool and discuss the differences between performance and developmental conversations. They identify the conditions for successful coaching, including how trust, psychological safety, and a growth mindset are the bedrock of productive coaching conversations.
Module 2: Coaching in Action (4 hours)
In this module, participants are learning the foundational skills for effective coaching conversations and use a concise framework for coaching conversations that to engage, empower, and inspire forward action. Then, it’s all put into practice. Participants coach one another and receive real-time feedback.
Preparation & Sustainment Steps
- Personal Learning Goal-Setting & Progress Review
- Alignment Conversation with Manager (if applicable)
- Personal Development Action Planning & Execution
- Pre-Reading Articles and Take-Away Cue Cards
- Peer Learning Support
8 hours training + 2 hours preparation & sustainment
Maximum 12 students per class
The assessment of a participant’s progress will be a combination of classroom participation, review of concepts during in-class activities and peer-feedback following real-time practice sessions.
Course Customization Options
Coaching for Performance can be customized for the specific needs of clients through, incorporation or alignment to client-specific organizational messages (values, business processes etc), modifying the workshop delivery schedule (1 day consecutive or 2 1/2 days over 1-2 months)